- High metal strength
- Good wear resistance
- Good brittleness
- Better toughness
The electroplated diamond grinding wheel is made by the electrochemical method. The working layer of the grinding wheel contains diamond abrasives which are bonded to the matrix by the metal bond. Firstly, deposit the metal bond and the thickness is 20% of the diamond abrasive height, and then the diamond abrasive is further bonded with the metal bonded, and the thickness of the deposited metal bond is about 2/3 of the diamond abrasive height.
Features of Electroplated diamond grinding wheel :
1) No dressing, easy to use.
2) It can be made the tools of various complex shapes with high precision.3) For rotary diamond dresser with high precision, electroplated is an ideal choice.
4)The coating is well distributed on the matrix, uniform in thickness and not limited by the shape of the matrix.
5) Electroplating technology is simple, easy to mold, can dressing, short manufacturing cycle.
6) The Electroplating can be done at room temperature, and the heating temperature is less than 100℃. It can avoid high-temperature burns caused by the sintered method.
6) A electroplating can be carried out at room temperature, the heating temperature is not more than 100 degrees, which can avoid high-temperature burns caused by the sintering method.
Applications of Electroplated diamond grinding wheel:
1) Machining industry: Electroplated rotary diamond dresser has been successfully used for dressing conventional grinding wheel, or directly to mold grinding workpieces, and widely used for crankshafts, bearings, hydraulic values and etc. Electroplated diamond mounted points are widely used for dressing the dies made of tungsten carbide and hardened steel, or workpiece surface and inner holes with various shapes.
2) Electrical & electronics industry: Electroplated diamond internal and external grinding wheel is the best tool for cutting hard and brittle materials such as a semiconductor.
3) Optical glass industry: Diamond grinding wheel for drill can directly drill out the round billets of the optical lens with various sizes from optical glass sheets. The electroplated wheel can also be used for edge grinding of optical glass.
4) Crafts & daily necessities industry: Electroplated wheels and mounted points can be used for cutting and grinding all kinds of jade, ceramic and other crafts. The electroplated diamond grinding wheel can be used for trimming rubber soles.
Electroplated diamond grinding wheel manufacturing technology:
Selection standard of diamond abrasives:
Appearance features: Pure diamond is colorless and transparent, but in fact, it contains many impurities. Synthetic diamond is octahedral, rhombic dodecahedron, cuboid under the metalloscope. It is often yellow-green, more impurities show gray-green, boron-containing diamond is black.
Choose high-grade diamond abrasives. Diamond is purified and hydrophilic treated before using. Diamond grain size directly affects the processing efficiency and surface finish as well as the diamond consumption. It should choose rough grain size to improve efficiency on the premise of the requirement of surface finish. Usually, electroplated wheel chooses the abrasive grain size is as follows:
Electroplated Diamond Grinding Wheel Grain Size
Grinding Technology Grain Size
Rough grinding 80-100 Mesh
Semi-finish grinding 120-180 Mesh
Finish grinding 180Mesh-W40
Lapping, Polishing W40-W100
Selection of the matrix and treatment before plating:
The matrix is the cathode in electroplating. Whether the metal coating can cover the surface of the matrix completely and evenly, and it can bond with the matrix firmly, are closely related to the material, geometry and surface conditions of the matrix. Whether the coating is firmly combined with the matrix is an important index to measure the quality of the electroplated wheel.
The oil, oxide and rust spots on the surface of metal matrix form interlayer when contacting with electrolyte, which hinders the electrochemical reaction between metal and electrolyte, and causes that there is no coating in some part of the metal surface, even completely no coating.
The purpose of surface treatment of coating is to make the surface smooth, remove surface dirt and bad structure, expose the normal lattice structure inside of the metal matrix, and achieve perfect combination between the coating and the metal matrix in the process of electroplating.
Quality inspection of electroplated diamond grinding wheel:
1) Appearance: The appearance of qualified coatings should be uniform in color, no tumors, no burns, no parts without coating, not enough and too thickness. In addition, the finish and brightness of the coating should meet the requirements.
2) Geometric dimensions: The inspection tools used should be accurate enough.
3) Bond strength of diamond: Test the bond strength of diamond in the metal coating( holding force). This method can be used in the condition that the metal matrix thickness is less than the diameter of the diamond.
4)Uniformity of diamond distribution: Use magnifier with 10 times, if it is found there are no diamond grains in the blank of 0.5mm width on the surface of the working layer of the tools, it can be considered that the distribution of diamond is not uniform.